Re: Conversion from SQL-Server to Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:59:59 GMT

Christoph Seidel wrote:

> yes, this is the name :-)
>
> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote in message
> > I think you mean the migration work bench. You can download it from
> > otn.oracle.com

That being said the migration workbench is just the very first step in a process that will require you to modify your code. There is no other way unless data corruption, poor performance, a lack of scalability, and minimal security are acceptable.

The architecture differences between Oracle and SQL Server are vast. While the code produced by Migration Workbench is compilable code. It is only a starting point.

Among the critical differences are things in the Oracle word referred to by the following phrases:

  1. Multiversioning
  2. Readers don't block writers
  3. Writers don't block readers
  4. Unlimited locks
  5. Bind variables

If you don't understand these concepts and modify your code accordingly it will suffer greatly. I would suggest to you a small investment in Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and especially the first three chapters.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Sep 26 2002 - 16:59:59 CDT