Re: oracle 9.0.1 on solaris 8 VERY slow

From: Mark <sparkynine_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2002 11:05:24 -0700

> Which part of reading the Oracle installation docs is causing a problem?
>
> http://docs.oracle.com/DOCS_DOT_PDF_Storage/a90351.pdf

I have read many, many documents. They all state that the config given by *Oracle* is wrong for a REAL database. Just that they are enough to INSTALL oracle. Here are my settings for a completely fine working 8i installation:

> clearly states: SHMMNI = 512 ... you have 100 and SHMSEG = 32 ... you
> have 10

I started reading the pdf you mentioned... It is for HP-UX!, not solaris.

> While this may not solve your speed problem it will keep you from
> collecting ORA-03113's.

I am not getting any ORA-03113's...

> With respect to speed one needs to ask things like have you been using
> DBMS_STATS to run and maintain current statistics. Have you run EXPLAIN
> PLAN and TKPROF? Have your run DBMS_PROFILER? Until you have there is
> little that can do to help you other than to suggest that you need to
> start with the basics.

DBMS_STATS no
EXPLAIN PLAN yes
TKPROF no
DBMS_PROFILER no

but these are for after things are working 'ok'. I cannot even do the most basic select statement.

Mark Received on Thu Sep 26 2002 - 13:05:24 CDT