Re: replication

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 25 Sep 2002 19:56:53 -0700

In article <3D9233FA.99542AEE_at_yahoo.com>, Kenneth says...

snip
>> >3. Can CLOBs and BLOBS be replicated with 8.1.7?
>>
>> I think so (can't remember the exact version this came in, but I think it was
>> 8i. LONG's and LONG RAW's can't and never will be.
>
>Is there any practical workaround for LONG and LONG RAW that bypasses the
>normal replication framework?

Yup, use a version that supports replication of CLOBs and BLOB's. That's far and away the easiest way to do it. I've seen workarounds for it, they've all been incredibly messy and generally unsupportable.

>Does replication only work if the repcat.sql script is run when creating the
>database? Or does that just provide a different level of functionality?

That's catrep.sql you mean, I presume? You need to run this to create the relevant packages and dictionary views. Without it, replication just ain't gonna work.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Sep 25 2002 - 21:56:53 CDT