Re: What is a good blocksize to use.

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:09:04 GMT

While I agree in principle (students will not learn if we do everything for them), I see far too many put-downs, rather than helpful guidance when someone is suspected of being a student. My mother taught me that when I don't know for sure, to assume the best about people, not to assume they are just a bunch of lazy, good-for-nothing students looking for the easy way out. Maybe in an ideal world, those kind of students would be found out and their message never get posted.

I would hate to think that if I asked a question, giving a hypothetical table (since mose people would have to know a lot more about the industry I'm in to understand what kind of data I store in my Member_Custom_Fields table) ... well, you get my point. I might post a message using something more familiar - maybe a Courses table - and have everyone assume I'm just a free-loading student. Though I'd give up all my Oracle DBA experience to be that young again, it wouldn't be fair to assume I was *only* hoping for someone to do my homework.

And BTW, even with 15 years as an Oracle DBA, I don't think I yet know the 50% you implied. :) But hey, I do know FORTRAN and COBOL, though it was in a previous lifetime (1966+) as a developer.