Re: What is a good blocksize to use.

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:14:27 GMT

Karsten Farell wrote:

> Though I'm not sure why questions from students are less important than
> those from us "paid professionals," I think the answer to this question
> would require a rather lengthly response. My performance tuning book
> devotes quite a few pages to this very discussion. My suggestion is to
> head over to your local bookstore and buy a book on Oracle performance
> issues.

They are not less important. But that said ... students are not helped by handing them the complete answer, gift wrapped, with a ribbon and a Hallmark card.

I think pointers to the right direction are appropriate. I think pointers to their textbook are appropriate. I think pointers to web sites containing the answer are appropriate.

But I really wouldn't want one of my students being able to take home a mid-term or final and then get the likes of you, or Sybrand, or Tom, or Howard, or Richard, etc. handing them the answers.

It cheats them out of an Oracle education. Of which 50% is what you know and 50% is knowing how to find the answer because you can't know everything.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Sep 24 2002 - 15:14:27 CDT