Re: Developer 2000 Problems When Installing With Oracle 7 Server

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:44:48 GMT

First of all, there is no need to "apologize" for trying out "obsolete" software or an "archaic" database. If the posts I see in this newsgroup are any indication, 7.3.4 seems to be running at a fair number of sites (so it would seem to be a very "marketable" skill to have knowledge of these old-timers). BTW, I removed your cross-posted newsgroups from my reply. :)

When you said you tried to uninstall before attempting a second (zillionth?) install, did you completely remove all traces of Oracle. The OUI (Oracle Universal Installer) doesn't do a thorough job of uninstalling (in its defense, neither do many other uninstallers). You have to manually remove stuff from the registry and other places.

You said you followed the Installation Guide. Did you also read thru the Release Notes? I know it's very, very long ... but trust me, with Oracle, you have to read it very carefully. For example, since you indicated that you're getting an NLS error after attempting the nth install, I found NLS sections beginning on page 41 of the release notes on MetaLink. They talk about how you have to uninstall NLS separately and before you uninstall the rest of Developer/2000.

I might be way off base here, but could this be your problem? I've had to uninstall Oracle products so many times that I finally kept a text file of how to do it on Win2k (Unix is simple by comparison ... odd, since *installing* on Unix is much more difficult than on Win2k).