Patching HPUX to 8174 fails

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:37:40 +0100

Oh boy, has this one been fun ?

I have two nearly identical servers - L Class HP 9000s both 64 bit running Oracle 8174 64 bit. (ok, one is running 8174 the other needs to be, currently 8170)
Both patched to June 2002 level.
Both have the default CC compiler (aka the Brain Dead HP Compiler) and GCC 3.01 for 64 bit HPUX 11.
One server has quite happily patched to 8174. The other remains stubbornly at 8170 and the relinking of Oracle (plus net stuff) fails to work - '+padtext is an invalid option'.

I've checked metalink and made sure I have all kernel parameters set correctly.
I've made sure that the required CC compiler os on the PATH. I've made sure that I have the very latest version of all the patches mentioned in the metalink note for required patches for 8174 on HPUX 11.00.
I've updated the linker with the patch set that adds the padtext, padcode and paddata options.

I've raised a TAR - telling them all this. I've now had a reply asking me to patch to the June 2002 release of the patch kit and to make sure I have the CC compiler installed and on the PATH - Duh !

Metalink is no help - there are some docs that I can't get access to for some reason, but the remaining ones simply say : install the latest patch kit, install a CC compiler etc.

Google Groups has nothing on the subject either, so here I am, and I've done as much of my homework as is humanly possible.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on ?

I've just got back from Oracle (9i new features) and am a week behind on work, and I heave a non-negotiable deadline to get this new server up and running by Monday, so the responses from Oracle have been a tad unhelpful so far (this is the first time I've been unhappy with Oracle Support) and untill I get Oracle in and working, I've got a shed load of other stuff that needs to go in on top of a working Oracle installation taht is being help up.

As ever, I'm grateful for any help offered.

Regards,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator