Re: Data Buffer Cache

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 23 Sep 2002 15:22:04 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<lkti9.36196$g9.103301_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> "Michael J. Moore" <hicamel_x_the_spam_at_attbi.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Joel,
> > I could easily forgive a few errors but at last count it was 21. Granted,
> > some were trivial, but others were misinformation. Not only is this an
> > unreasonable amount of slop, The book does NOT prepare one for the
> > Fundamentals 1 test. The question on the real test were significantly more
> > difficult than any of the practice exams on the book or the CD that came
> > with the book. Based on doing very good on the practice exams I though I
> > would have little problem with the actual test. I failed it on the first
> > pass, and that was $125 down the crapper.
> >
> > Had I been able to find either of the authors of this book I may have
> taken
> > some pleasure at ramming their book up their buffer cache to see if it
> would
> > indeed cause a log jam.

LOL! I believe I have met at least one of the authors, and if I'm not confused about who is who, he was both a nice guy and very knowledgeble about Oracle. But I do agree with your idea of reasonableness. I think the pleasure would come from, er, "stress-testing" those at the publisher who are really responsible for lack of proofing. Tip: Big user group and Oracle World meetings are often good for meeting the authors and putting them on the spot. Or even teaching them something. Or even learning something.

> > Mike
>
> LOL!
>
> As a bit of a serious aside, I don't think any 'cramming' books are an
> appropriate way to prepare for the OCP exams. Partly because they all
> contain errors, as you've noted. But also, mainly because anyone who wants
> to go to the effort of getting OCP presumably wants to do it "right" -ie,
> actually understand all this stuff, and not take regurgitated stuff by
> "experts" at face-value.

Agree totally. However, those of us who don't have the luxury of jobs that pay tens of thousands of dollars for Oracle training or even have time to play at work have to find what works. I've found that a cram book plus another more in-depth book plus the self-test software works for me, if I can force the wife to leave me alone. The real understanding comes from working with the stuff in daily tasks, but so much of the tests are on stuff no one uses (or in some cases, yet uses) that that doesn't work for me.

> The only way to get it "right" is to play with it for real. Insofar as
> cramming books might make you think of tests to perform, and experiments to
> conduct, they have a use.

This is mostly true, but sometimes wrong in that an extremely complex product will engender superstitious behaviors. Which is often the regurgitation you mentioned.

> But I personally find plenty of guidance for future research projects
> available for free: just visit this newsgroup for an afternoon, and pick
> three or four typical posts as an indicator of the sort of problems you
> should be able to fix as a "real" DBA. Work on your play database at home
> until you find a solution. Then repeat at regular intervals.

May I see a show of hands of how many people are running optional enterprise products on their play database at home?

The "typical posts" is an excellent suggestion, I've been doing it off and on for well over ten years. I even got a DBA job out of it once (helping some people out of a typical self-adminstered hellhole was more realistic than any technical interview I've ever been subjected to).

But who will fix Oracle education? I'm extremely pissed at them, since I asked them back in June if taking the 8i upgrade exam plus having taken the 7 dba exam will satify the OCP requirements, and they said yes. And now they say I have to take the 8i dba exam (actually they most recently said I have to take the 8i or the 8 dba exam - how stupid is that?). They are just a revenue generator for Oracle, they have ZERO interest in making better DBAs.

jg

--
@home is bogus.
0 Rows not loaded because all WHEN clauses were failed.