9i table redefinition in 8.1.7

From: Jason Fixsen <jfixsen_at_gbronline.com>
Date: 23 Sep 2002 14:04:13 -0700

Hello. I'm implementing the 9i table redef procedure in 8.1.7. I've got it to work, but it's not as clean as I'd like. I have 2 quick questions, but first here's my session info:

drop materialized view jay_new
/

drop table jay_new
/

drop table jay
/

rename jay_new to jay
/

drop snapshot log on jay
/

I put my questions in the code above. The first one is:

  1. is there a way to do a refresh while maintaining the lock on the source table?
  2. if a user process is waiting on table JAY, but first I want to replace JAY with JAY_NEW, and then run the user process, is there a way to do it without having the user process die?

Thanks in advance.

Jason Fixsen (jfixsen_at_gbronline.com) Received on Mon Sep 23 2002 - 16:04:13 CDT