Re: unexpected ORA-1652: alter index rebuild partition tablespace

From: <kennethkoenraadt_at_no-spam.hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:39:59 GMT

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:10:10 +0200, Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de> wrote:

>questions:
>Why doesn't oracle allocate the temporary segment in the temporary tablespace?
That temporay segment could be your new index under creation.....

>Why does it use the destination ts?

See above.

>What can I do to keep the datafiles in the newly created ts as small as
>possible?

Create them with a minimal initial size and set AUTOEXTEND ON. During allocation of extents the datafiles will extend as necessary.

>How can I estimate the needed new space more correctly/more robust?
The segments you are moving, will *at most* demand same space in the new tablespace as in the old one, unless you

  1. Use dictionary managed tablespace and i.e specify pctincrease > 0
  2. Use LMT with an *enormous* uniform extent size