Re: Oralce INIT.ORA Question

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:15:24 GMT

Fredrick Jeyakumar Roberts wrote:

> I am running oralce 8i in a Windows NT system 512 MB. with
> 30 GB Cpacity . What Should I consider in the INIT.ORA params to improve the
> performance during a SQL direct load.
>
> There are 3 systems out of which only one system is slow.
>
> Thanks in adv,... for ideas
> Fred

You should consider doing nothing with the init.ora without collecting a lot of additional information. Things such as:

  1. What hardware
  2. What operating system verison and patches
  3. What version and edition of Oracle
  4. What optimizer mode
  5. How often are statistics collected
  6. Are all schemas identical including a verification of each and every index
  7. Are speed differences present when running SQL in SQL*Plus
  8. What is being loaded
  9. Are any users or jobs runing on the machines while SQL*Loader is running

To have concluded that you need to go jump into the init.ora is as premature as a birth after 3 months of pregnancy.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Sep 22 2002 - 18:15:24 CDT