Re: Is 9i RAC worth pursuing?

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:49:50 +0100

"Tanel Poder" <tanel_at_peldik.kom> wrote in message news:3d8b1b89$1_1_at_news.estpak.ee...
> > Nowadays, anything could happen, you want to be on the cutting edge of
the
> > technology so that if something happens, you will easily find another
job.

> Huh, this is as DBA as it gets.
> I wonder, if it was the upgrade (and downtime + spent money)
> justification to the bosses as well?

I agree entirely. The decision whether or not to upgrade should be based on what is best for the company, not for the DBA's career. If a DBA is spending the company's money against the company's interests, in an attempt to improve his own CV, I don't find it in the least surprising that the said DBA needs to keep an eye out for the push. IMHO, this is unethical; among other things the DBA is paid to give impartial advice (whether or not it is heeded is another matter entirely).

On the other hand, the DBA who earns a reputation for integrity, loyalty, honesty, professionalism and dedication will not go far wrong.

By the way, please don't take this as casting any aspersions on 9iR2. My company is starting a new DW project, and the technical architect is proposing 9iR2. I concur with his recommendation, because of the features available.

Regards,
Paul Received on Sun Sep 22 2002 - 11:49:50 CDT