Re: optimal size for rollback

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:30:35 +1000

22 Sep 2002 04:23:35 -0700, Igor Laletin said (and I quote):

PMFJI

> I absolutely agree with you. Just such applications are rare. They may
> exist in a training course but don't survive in production environment
> for long.

I'm going away on holidays soon, so I can't go into this like it deserves. Let me just say this: after using Oracle since 1986, I have yet to see out there a "properly designed" application that doesn't exhibit one or more of the symptoms Howard and Karen talk about.

This leads me to think that the mythical "perfect application" just doesn't exist. What does indeed exist is a mish-mash of code that is put together by people who don't have a clue and in most cases in a way that is purported to be "portable" and is nothing of the such. The result? Applications that regularly break all the "rules" of good database use. And like it or not, we have to live with them.

Now, OPTIMAL may be a great idea for a DBA that doesn't want to get too involved. Yet, it causes problems. Well documented. 1555 is one of them. The other is considerable overhead and disruption of smooth processing. For development databases it may make sense. For production, no way. Regardless of the application.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto