Re: How to find the Database version without opening the Database

From: Karen Abgarian <abvk_at_ureach.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:22:16 GMT

Yasin wrote:

> Hi: I am intresting in knowing if there is way to know the version of
> the Database without opening it, or even putting it in mount state.
>
> Many thanks.

Starting from the beginning: you have a server with several databases on it.
These databases might be of different versions. You need to decide which

database version you want to find out. You do that (on unix, cannot say for
windows) by setting ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME. These two basically "decide" on the version of a futre oracle instance.

I don't know of any program in oracle that would just output the version of
the installed software. This information is, of course, present in the oracle
installation and can be obtained, although it may be inconvenient to do in scripts.
I think if you need to get a version you could write a one-line script of your own
that would just output the version of software and put it into the bin directory.

You do not need to mount the database to learn a version of an oracle instance.
You can do startup nomount and then query, say, v$version, or v$parameter

(compatible parameter might be relevant).

Yeah, do not post to multiple groups, they say it's bad. They explained it to me
but I forgot why.

Regs
AK Received on Sat Sep 21 2002 - 16:22:16 CDT