Re: Newbie looking for suggestions:

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: 21 Sep 2002 12:11:47 -0500

tda206_at_hotmail.com (tda) wrote in

> Hi all.. I'm a newbie knowing next to nothing about databases and
> I'd like to create a small project to help me learn about
> Oracle/databases in general.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a good beginner
> project would be? or just any suggestions for a beginner in
> general?
>
> Also, any help with Oracle on IRIX ( SGI Indigo2, r10k ) would be
> helpfull as well.

Hi Tda,

Oracle on IRIX? Very cool. I believe the implementation of Oracle on IRIX allows for I/O's upwards of 4M per. Which is very very cool!

You want to ensure that you've installed Oracle properly on IRIX:

will check that the Database Accellerator is installed. This add-on enables kaio. You'll also want to ensure that the post-wait driver is installed.

As for learning something new, I suggest you create a mini-web application. Using perl's DBD/DBI to access the RDBMS and feed data back to your web page.

Try a little recipe database. Or something fun for you to try.

Have fun and good luck!

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com