Re: Fine Grain Security and select... for update

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2002 13:42:55 -0700

I am curious if you have resolved this issue. I wonder if this is at all related to the Fine Grained Security. In general, when you grant "select" privilege to a user, you also gives him the right to lock the rows in the table. So the grantee can issue "select ... for update.." on the table. This SQL just identifies the rows that are needed and locks them so nobody else can modify them. However, if the grantee subsequently try to actually "update" the rows, errors will be raised, as the grantee does not have "update" privilege. So, the point is, you can issue a "select .. for update" without actually carrying out the "update".