Re: Urgent - Running catalog.sql during instance creation

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:14:12 GMT

On 20 Sep 2002 11:49:20 -0700, my_papa_at_yahoo.com (Peace On Earth) wrote:

>I am trying to run the
>
>$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql
>
>script during database creation. It is taking forever to do it - now
>past 60 minutes - the script seems to have stopped executing. Is it
>supposed to act like this or is something wrong? Is there any way
>around it? Earlier today I tried it and after about 60 minutes I
>pressed CTRL-C but it merely went to next statement which in turn got
>frozen.
>
>OS is AIX poppy 3 4 000FA3FD4C00
>
>Oracle Running is 8.1.6
>
>Thank You
>
>Riz

Since you're running CATALOG.SQL, I presume that 'during database creation' is a sort of generality. For you to be connected and running the script, the database should have already been created.

That being said, the first thing I'd do with this problem is take a look at your alert log. Look for messages beginning with 'ORA-' In NT the file is called <sid>ALRT.LOG and is located in the directory indicated by the background_dump_dest parm in the init<sid>.ora file. I presume the names and locations will be similar in Unix type systems.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)