Re: ORA-00449: background process 'LGWR' unexpectedly terminated with error 340 ??

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 22:27:54 +0200

More details could be found in the generated trace file. If it is an O.S. error you should be able to find it there. Is it always the same redo file? (mayby drop it and create it again could help then?)
Why do you think it is a backup issue? Your backup tool does not lock the file, does it?
Don't know for sure if Oracle keeps the redofiles open all the time, even when not current. Can't do a test from home. I suspect Oracle will keep them open. Try /usr/sbin/fuser /x/y/z/*.rdo (if you may use that utility) to see what processes have the files currently open. If backup is the problem then the backup tool has the file open, Oracle does not and Oracle just needs to switch to that redo during your backup, failing to open it. Not a very likely scenario, never heard of such things too. Strange story. Verify again with the system manager of the Sun box that no errors on the disks are reported.

Ted <root_at_aol.com> schreef in berichtnieuws amfv5i$5n8mb$1_at_ID-144666.news.dfncis.de...
| Sun 2.8 , Ora 8.1.7... Disks seem fine. Would you point this to a backup
| issue?
|
| I thought it could be that, but when I run my backup during the day, I
don't
| get the same issue.
|
| "Anton Buijs" <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in message
| > Just interpretating the message: LGWR could not write the redolog file,
| what
| > is very serious, so serious the database can't continue to operate.
| >
| > What Oracle version? What operating system?
| > You don't have these files by any change on a mounted drive (Windows) do
| > you?
| > Did the O.S. report any disk problems?
| > Did you check there are no problems with the disk involved?
| >
| > Ted <root_at_aol.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
| > amfjnr$5khj6$1_at_ID-144666.news.dfncis.de...
| > | Hi we have a server that is stoping at wierd times. I have done a
search
| > on
| > | the error below and have found nothing. Does anyone have any idea?
| > |
| > |
| > | *** 2002-09-05 00:08:22.734
| > | *** SESSION ID:(14.19) 2002-09-05 00:08:22.515
| > | kgefec: fatal error 0
| > | *** 2002-09-05 00:08:22.781
| > | ksedmp: internal or fatal error
| > | ORA-00603: ORACLE server session terminated by fatal error
| > | ORA-00449: background process 'LGWR' unexpectedly terminated with
error
| > 340
| > | ORA-00340: IO error processing online log of thread
| > | ORA-00449: background process 'LGWR' unexpectedly terminated with
error
| > 340
| > | ORA-00340: IO error processing online log of thread
| > | ----- Call Stack Trace -----
| > | calling call entry
| > | argument values in hex
| > | location type point