Re: shutdown immediate hangs

From: Steve M <steve.mcdaniels_at_vuinteractive.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:12:14 -0700

My understanding is this:

shutdown <normal> waits for all transactions to complete and all users to log out

shutdown immediate completes all pending transactions, preventing new transactions, then waits for all users to log out

shutdown abort stops immediately, pending transactions are rolled back during the next normal startup.

If I am correct, there is a likelihood of a USER thinking that a transaction completed when indeed it was rolled back.

We use shutdown abort all the time.

Killing sessions is (IMHO) misuse.