Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: tingl <tlam15_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Sep 2002 12:13:06 -0700

> > Sure, you are potentially likely to run into bugs regardless of the version.
> > I have encountered more bugs in 8i than 734. It is not too hard to
> > understand the
> > reasons. 8i patches are hundreds of megabytes now. It is even more shocking
> > with 9i. Believe it or not, some of the bugs will never get fixed unless you
> > upgrade
> > again.
>

> Partly agreed. 8.1.7.3/4 are the only two I'd touch nowadays. But these
> are darn good. 7.3.4 is quite buggy in some areas. LONG handling is one
> - db corruptions. The other is the optimiser (I use the term in the
> widest possible sense here!). And a third one is just plain wrong
> results in some SQL statements.

I am not surprised you have found some bugs in 734 that do not affect other's applications and others have found bugs in 8i that do not affect yours. Have you experienced memory leak problem in jre that cannot be fixed unless upgrade to 9i? If Oracle could not completely fixed the bugs in 7, why do you think they will in 8i.

> > > Of course. And guess what: most if not all of them (the ones still
> > > selling) have upgraded to later versions of Oracle. Wanna guess why?
> > > ;)
> > >

> > I hope it is not because of the reason above.
> >

> You got it. <G>

Then the bug should not be an issue. Received on Fri Sep 20 2002 - 14:13:06 CDT