Re: Infamous JRE Installation Problem with 9i Again. :-(

From: Brad Melendy <brad_at_techknow.biz>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:50:30 -0700

I don't take it as a dig Howard, it's Human nature. I still think the evidence pointed to a problem with the installer even though it was the format of the CD which I was able to reproduce. There are just too many posts regarding this issue here in the group, on oracle's own web based forums and just do a google search on, "Oracle Universal Installer cannot be run".

In the end, what do the really want? I'll admit to having a bit of a bad taste in my mouth now regarding Oracle and I'll have to try to temper that while evaluating their software and making a recommendation to my client. From a prospective customer's point of view, it was a negative experience with the product.

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:Czwi9.36295$g9.103685_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Without particularly wishing to rub salt in the wounds, I think this is
> indeed something that can shed important light for others' benefit: never,
> ever leap to conclusions. And when you stuff up big time, don't rush to
> blame "bugs" or Oracle's supposed incompetence.
>
> I think these two quotes should be permanently juxtaposed and printed on
> every newbie's wall:
>
> "I suppose I'll try downloading again, but right now I'm just about to
> forget
> the whole thing and assume that a lot less people out there run Oracle
than
> I previously thought, because with such a buggy installer nobody must be
> able to even install the darn thing let along run it. :-\" (Post received
> at 2.07AM)
>
> "Well, I figured it out. It was indeed the CDs. Turns out, that the
> download (and yes, it was a .zip file not an ISO as I had said previously)
> has characteristics such that it can only be properly burned to CD with
> certain settings. In NERO, I had to select Mode 2 rather than Mode 1 and
> ISO9660 standard isn't comatible either." (Post received at 12.29PM)
>
> (Incidentally, the resolution is in any case somewhat odd, because I've
> never had any problems downloading the ZIPs, unzipping them onto the hard
> drive, and burning them (using Nero) onto a plain old 'Data CD' as
proferred
> by the Nero burning wizard.)
>
> Not a dig particularly at you, Brad, by the way: there are far too many
> posters in general who make mistakes and then claim it's all the product's
> fault.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> "Brad Melendy" <brad_at_techknow.biz> wrote in message
> > Well, I figured it out. It was indeed the CDs. Turns out, that the
> > download (and yes, it was a .zip file not an ISO as I had said
previously)
> > has characteristics such that it can only be properly burned to CD with
> > certain settings. In NERO, I had to select Mode 2 rather than Mode 1
and
> > ISO9660 standard isn't comatible either.
> >
> > I had just burned the uncompressed zip images to CD so I could easily
take
> > them to the test server and in so doing, had made changes to the format
or
> > filenames such that the installer couldn't run. Pretty crazy because
I've
> > copied tons of stuff to CD before, but only now have I ever encountered
> this
> > sort of situation. It was such that copying back from the CD to the
hard
> > drive didn't do anyting to fix the problem either.
> >
> > Anyway, I want to thank everyone for their comments. I don't think I
> would
> > have suspected the format that the CD had been burned with as a cause on
> my
> > own. I am certain that there are a lot of other people suffering from
> this
> > because of the messages I read with the same symptoms and hopefully this
> > will shed some light for them as well.
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > ...Brad
> >
> > "Tom Swier" <tswier_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > "Brad Melendy" <brad_at_techknow.biz> wrote in message
> very
> > much

> > click

Hence,