Help: Too much rollback info

From: Joe Sath <u705413818_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:50:30 GMT

We are using oracle 8173.

In Jason Couchman's book, "DBA Cert. Exam Guide", it says,

insert(stores new ROWID in rollback segment only), update (stores ROWID plus old column value), and delete (stores ORWID and all row/column data). So if your transactions primarily insert data, your rollback segments would be smaller than....

But I notice that, during inserting, importing data, we are using much bigger rollback segments.

For instance, for a table with 11 partitions, we are only updating one column of one Partition, the highwater mark of the partition only takes 200m, but during the update, rollback grows to 1.1G. And there is only one session on the database.

Is it the normal behaviour or is it a bug?

Thanks for your reply

--
Sent  by joebayerii from  hotmail in area com