Re: Block Corruption, cant start DB -SOS

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 00:08:57 +1000

Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:19:18 +0200, Candido Dessanti said (and I quote):
> > Besides, if he has no backups and no mirroring anywhere, it's
> > gonna be awfully difficult to recover anything. With or without SCN.
>
> Of course the backup have to be done, when possible.

With a multi-Tb db? It MUST be done. Not when possible.

> Do you have an idea how much takes backing up 1Terabyte database? A vary
> long time, so maybe he isnt able to do backups;

If any1 is running a multi-Tb datawarehouse db in hardware that can't back-up 1Tb in acceptable time, I can tell you there is gonna be a lot more of this sort of problem...
It doesn't take that long if the hardware is well thought out. But it can't be done on a M$/TCO shoestring budget, that's for sure.

> but the point is...if he has backups why he isnt doing a datafile
> recovery? I guess he hasnt a backup. And even with a backup success isnt
> guaranted, because it looks like there is logical corruption.

Yup. If he tries to recover and mucks it up, he's lost a multi-Tb database without appeal. At least with a backup after the disaster, he can try to recover something. I'd call Oracle support and get them to sort it out, if at all possible.

> Crash recovery is performed by database after a crash or shutdown abort
> recovering the database with the online redo logs, so idea of mine was
> simply to force an incomplete crash recovery until the transaction is
> generating the problem,even i dont think it would be successfull it wont
> damage in any way the database just because it would immediatly fail
> doing anything to database files.

Sure. But if he doesn't save at least the logs and controlfile prior to starting all that, he's up for some hefty problems if anything (and I mean *anything*) goes wrong during this exercise. All he needs is a typo or power failure or OS glitch half way through this and *clunk* there goes the db. Better safe than sorrow. See the stuff Howard and Richard put in their replies.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto