Re: Six of one . . .

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:28:44 GMT

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 04:01:43 GMT, John Russell <netnews4_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:14:39 -0700, Martin Doherty
><martin.doherty_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>
>>Ed, my gut agrees with your gut. Initiating a new query for each row to be
>>processed sounds pretty resource-heavy compared with submitting a single query that
>>identifies all rows to be processed.
>
>I would also stick all the updated data into a PL/SQL collection
>(probably an index-by table) and then use the FORALL to loop through
>all the UPDATE statements. It's much faster than doing a separate
>UPDATE for each changed row.
>
>John

A nice technique, but would that not require that the application be written in PL/SQL? If so, I refer you back to the original post -- the app is written in cobol and the project is to port it to a different platform.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)