Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: Fred Pierce <fpierce_at_avialantic.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:28:19 GMT

Richard Foote wrote:

> Hi Fred and all,
>
> You all make good points (those of you that took my Gran story and walked
> all over it ;)
>
> If it ain't broke don't fix it is hard to argue against and I agree in many
> ways to what you've said.

> I drove a 1974 HQ Holden for 6 six long years. When I eventually bought a
> new Ford Falcon, I wish I did it years ago. The power steering, the air
> conditioning, the CD player (I can even listen to Bowie in the back), the
> ABS brakes, the airbag, the comfort and handling not to mention the improved
> fuel efficiency, boy I honestly didn't know what I was missing ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard

I've been avoiding getting too close to the new Mini-Cooper. I don't need it. Why spend $20+k when all I need is a 2k paint job. Still...

I agree with you and Nuno that if you can point out tangible benefits to upgrading or hazards to not, then by all means, do it. Likewise if there is a continuing disparity between the organization's desire to move forward and the DBA's, then the DBA has to sell the organization on the new version or whatever or as you say, eventually contemplate going to some place more challenging. Keeping the DBA's skills up *might* be a selling point for upgrades, but only if you can show how this benefits the org. Kind of circular as it stands: need to upgrade so I can acquire skill in the new version that I wouldn't need if we don't upgrade. Improved performance, less maintenance so I can do more valuable things for the organization would be be a lot easier to convey.

I think the point is to do the driving rather than be driven, and know why and where.

fdp

Fred Pierce (DNRC)- fpierce_at_avialantic.com Mid-Atlantic Aviation on the Web - http://www.avialantic.com Planes, Trains, & Automobiles Transporation Show Sept. 21-22 2002 ** Mid Atlantic Air Museum WWII Weekend Airshow June 6-8 2002 and - www.maam.org **
*** World Airshow News - www.worldairshownews.com **