Re: Is 9i RAC worth pursuing?

From: Candido Dessanti <termy_at_blunet.it>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:16:53 +0200

> Any suggestions except that 9i RAC is a good experience to have, which is
> good for my career?

9i RAC as 8-8i OPS raise Avaiablity of the database; you can do maintenance on your server without stopping the database as an example thru Applicaion Time Failover or even an instance crash the other node is up to take instance failover in a transparent manner and makes you able to guarantee a good continuity of service. You can get aboost in performance also expecially with 9i RAC (according to oracle's sayings at least).
Is it good for your career? I think averything never done before it useful for your career or at least it is good for your personal growth; to deal with a parallel server can be a little hard, but for sure it's funny in the end.

> By the way, do you guys think 9i RAC is going to be popular? Very few
> company are using it, demand for the skill is also limited.

Yah...maybe because it costs a lot in terms of licences (a licence for the rac option alone costs, according the oracle site, 20.000$ per processor and you have to add $40.000 for the 9i EE) and also in term of infrastructure (You have to put your datafiles in a shared disk substorage that costs 25.000$ for an economy model using optical fiber). Received on Thu Sep 19 2002 - 06:16:53 CDT