Re: How to create second , third .... instances on Linux RH 7.1 and Oracle 9i

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2002 23:43:33 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<09dhoug790gmt8jt9bhcaa6doodq0o9hp8_at_4ax.com>...
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:53:42 +0800, "Henry" <henry_at_jf.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I try to create two oracle 9.0.1 databases on Linux RH 7.1, one is 'odb',
> >the other 'odb1'. I used database configuration assistant to create them.
> >During creations there was no problem. After creation both of them worked.
> >But when I shutdown them and tried to restart, I could only start odb1. When
> >I tried to start odb, I got ora-01102 error. Even if I shutdown odb1, I
> >still couldn't start odb. I checked both init. files, db_name are different,
> >one is 'odb', the other 'odb1'. Please help!
> >
> >Regards,
> >Henry

Looks like you did not shut down your databases cleanly. Check to see if there are any background processes owned by oracle. $ ps -ef | grep -i ora_ | grep -i <SID>
Kill any lingering processes by using kill -9 <Proc id>

Also check to see if there are any semaphores owned by oracle. $ ipcs -b
If there are any then remove them.

If this is not Production env. and you don't want to go thru these steps, then just reboot. Read up on Oracle docs to do a clean shutdown in future.

$ ORACLE_SID=sid export ORACLE_SID
$ sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect sys/xxxx as sysdba
SQL> shutdown immediate;

/Rauf Sarwar Received on Thu Sep 19 2002 - 01:43:33 CDT