Re: Triggers from SQL SERver to Oracle

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:56:42 +0200

On 18 Sep 2002 13:23:56 -0700, rdalfonso_at_nyc.rr.com (Rich D) wrote:

>I have a bunch of triggers in SQl Server that I need to move over to
>Oracle 8i.
>
>But when I run it in Sql Plus I get nowhere. Any thoughts on why this
>doesn;t work or general syntax differences (declaring variables, etc)
>between SQl Server and Oracle
>
>my trigger is:
>
>CREATE TRIGGER InsertSeries ON dbo.Survey_Series
>FOR INSERT
>AS
>DECLARE
> @Prevmax_id int,
> @Survey_series_id int
>
>SELECT @Prevmax_id = 0
>
>SELECT @Survey_series_id = Survey_series_id FROM inserted
>
>SELECT @Prevmax_id = MAX(Survey_Series.Survey_series_sequence_id)
>FROM Survey_Series
>
>UPDATE Survey_Series SET
> Survey_series_sequence_id = @Prevmax_id + 1,
> Update_datetime = getdate() ,
> Update_username = app_name()
> WHERE Survey_series_id = @Survey_series_id
>
>Thanks,
>rdalfonso_at_nyc.rr.com

My first thought is that

a) Oracle has a free Migration Workbench available
b) the PL/SQL reference manual is online at http://otn.oracle.com
c) are you prepared to do others homework for free?

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Sep 18 2002 - 15:56:42 CDT