Re: Illegal date format...

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2002 06:41:47 -0700

Andrew Allen <ajallen_at_mailhost.det.ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<3D881A68.AE7C9537_at_mailhost.det.ameritech.net>...
> Eddie wrote:
> >
> > I saw it with my own eyes! Webmethods inserted an illegal date into
> > the Oracle database. When I query the table here is what I get. We are
> > running database version 7.3.4. And yes the eta_date_lfdat is a date
> > field in the databse. Has anyone seen this before? Eddie Shuler
> >
> > 1* select to_char(eta_date_lfdat,'dd-mon-yyyy') from sap_delivery
> > SQL> /
> >
> > TO_CHAR(ETA_DATE_LFDAT,'DD-MON-YYYY')
> > 00-december-0000
> > 00-december-0000
>
> No you DID NOT!!! the date format you specified in your query
> would have returned 00-DEC-0000. You obviously created this result
> set. Quit wasting our time.

Ed, I did a search on metalink for 'webmethods' and 'date' but did not get a hit that appears to match your problem. I did find a Y2K bug that caused digital certificates to appear to have expired when they were valid, but that was as close as I could find. Perhaps someone else will recognize what could be happening here.

Andrew, if the contents of the date column are not valid then the results of a query on them is unpredictable. In the past it was possible using OCI to insert bad data in a date column so results as posted may not be out of the question. Also some posters manually type the code and response rather than cut and paste so a simple human error could be involved.

What are the NLS parameter values for this DB?