Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: Fred Pierce <fpierce_at_avialantic.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:55:39 -0400

Richard,

I think your last sentence - "Now, do you really want to be like my Gran when you go for a job and they ask you questions on 9i ..." - is interesting. What's good for the DBA may not always be what is good for the enterprise. From a DBA's perspective, complexity and change is good - keeps us busy and hopefully marketable. From the enterprise's perspective, it means more database work, ergo more or more expensive DBA's, increasing hardware requirements etc. If the application works fine on the existing version, is stable and no changes are planned, what advantage is it to the enterprise to add more capability etc. other than avoiding the planned obsolesence of the database platform? If the application will run just as well on the new improved MySQL, would it be in my best interest to recommend dropping the Oracle license and going GNU after investing years in learning how to spell Orcale?

The software industry does have a habit of coercing their customers into upgrades, e.g. the old one isn't supported or something essential won't work with it anymore. Since once committed to a platform, it's hard to change, the customer hasn't a lot of options. In the world I envision, a customer would upgrade when they had a need for a new feature, capability etc. or realized a real benefit in performance, security and the like, not be forced to by the vendor. Purchasing extended support might be an option in some cases.

As you described though, in most cases it's better to keep up than to have to make a giant leap from having waited for too many versions. I just start planning for the next version as soon as the present one is installed. Nevertheless I wonder sometimes whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

fdp

P.S. Oh yeah - I'm driving an '88 car. Just can't think of a reason to upgrade.

Fred Pierce (DNRC)
Avialantic.com fpierce_at_avialantic.com
www.avialantic.com
MAAM Transportation Show 2002 - Sept. 21-22 www.maam.org/transhow.html