Re: rollback segment initial size

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:53:50 +1000

Hi Daud,

Because it is ...

OK, you don't like that answer, let me explain.

With LMT, pretty well all storage parameters specified at the object level are irrelevant in that the storage characteristics of the LMT take precedence. The only exception to this rule is when an object is first created in that the *object* storage clause determines the *initial* size of an object.

Basically the object storage clause values of INITIAL, NEXT, PCTINCREASE and MINEXTENTS are used to calculate the *initial size of the object*. Note that the MINEXTENTS value doesn't necessarily mean that many extents are actually created, as it's the UNIFORM SIZE or the AUTOALLOCATE value of the LMT that actually determines this.

Therefore Oracle documents the following: INITIAL = the sum as calculated above, NEXT is either the UNIFORM SIZE or the value as determined by AUTOALLOCATE, PCTINCREASE is always 0, MINEXTENTS is 1 and MAXEXTENTS is unlimited.

Just the way it is ...

Cheers

Richard