Re: Block Corruption, cant start DB -SOS

From: Candido Dessanti <termy_at_blunet.it>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:59:00 +0200

SGA wrote:
> Hello All,
> This is what I get in alert log when trying to start DB.
> If anyone had similar problem before and have any idea how to startup
> the db anyway please help!

A datawarehouse failing, that's really a mess. I guess you havent any backup of it...

I have a solution but I REALLY DONT KNOW IF WORKS or if there are best solutions..

open server manager, mount the database and start an incomplete recovery (a loss of data here)

recover database until scn (the scn you think the transaction that's causing the write in failed block or the scn you found in alert.log file)

alter database open resetlogs;

doing that you would miss all the transactions since the scn# you used for incomplete recovery

now you would have to recover the table that causing troubles with the DBMS_REPAIR package

here is a link and i know the package would exists in oracle 8.1.7 too

http://download-uk.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901_doc/appdev.901/a89852/dbms_rep.htm

ANOTHER SOLUTION WOULD BE CALLING ORACLE SUPPORT Received on Wed Sep 18 2002 - 06:59:00 CDT