Re: OLTP and RAID 5

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 18 Sep 2002 04:01:54 -0700

ora_geek_at_yahoo.com (Ora) wrote in message news:<fa5d6718.0209172252.4cbd0b7b_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have inherited an Oracle 8i OLTP Database on Compaq / NT server ,
> with 6 Disks of 18.5 GB Each , which has RAID 5 implemented at the
> Hardware Level.
>
> All my logfiles , control files and Datafiles are all seemingly in one
> location .
>
> With RAID 5 , is it true that I need not distribute the files on
> various disk to reduce IO contention - as the files are already
> striped on all the disks.
>
> My basic doubt is can an OLTP system and RAID 5 a good combination.
>
> TIA.
>
> OrA

It isn't. RAID-5 has a write penalty associated, and is commonly discouraged for OLTP applications. There have been many posts in this group discussing this at length. Instead of repeating this discussion I recommend you use the archives at http://groups.google.com to get a clear picture.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Sep 18 2002 - 06:01:54 CDT