Re: shutdown immediate hangs

From: Steve Ashmore <sashmore_at_neonramp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 05:40:00 -0500

I have seen this on one system I worked on. What I did was issue a
  alter system checkpoint;

About 3 minutes prior to the shutdown.
It has not hung since. (1 year)

This may or may not help in your case.

Stephen C. Ashmore
Brainbench MVP for Oracle Administration http://www.brainbench.com

Author of: 'So You Want to be an Oracle DBA?'