Re: multiple schemas per user - possible?

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:27:14 +0200

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 06:15:04 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>...at which point, I immediately thought "Workspace Manager", which is a
>feature of 9i. It lets you create virtual 'workspaces' within the database,
>to which you 'travel' in the same sort of way as you'd navigate a directory
>tree on your hard disk with the "cd" o/s command, and when you've arrived
>you can do transactionally-consistent manipulations of data without
>impacting on the "real" data in the "real" table. You can have as a many
>workspaces as you like: the only cost is that each workspace, and it's
>version of the table data, are stored as extra rows in the original table.

In the old days, when I used to work on a UNISYS system with a DBMS1100 database, there was this feature called 'changefiles', used for development and testing. The database contained a basic set of data, on which the software you were testing performed DML. Changed pages where not stored in the database however, but in your personal changefile. When accessing a page the system first checked if the page was in your changefile and if it was it would use that version, otherwise it would retrieve the page from the live database. Everybody of the development and testteam could use the same database in this way without 'seeing' each other's changes.

Could this Workspace Manager be used in the same way?

Jaap. Received on Wed Sep 18 2002 - 03:27:14 CDT