Re: multiple schemas per user - possible?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:50:16 +0200

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:28:35 GMT, roger <rsr_at_rogerwrae.com> wrote:

>Hello there.
>
>Is there any way to create/manage/user multiple "schemas"
>for a single database user?
>
>As I understand things, each user having a private schema,
>has a set of tables, and these tables are all distinct from
>any other identically named tables that reside in the private
>schema of any other users.
>That is fine great and handy.
>
>But, how do we account for a situation where a single user
>would like to have serveral distinct versions of the tables in
>his schema? For example, when developing/testing new versions
>of some software, or simply maintaining parallel data sets for
>the same versions of the tables...
>

>I've read about synonyms, and while I understand that it is
>possible to achieve this sort of indirection with them,
>I sure hope there is a better answer than that available!
>

>To me, it seems like a user should be able to create multiple
>"schemas", add objects to the various schemas, and specify a
>default schema which would be used in the absence of an explicit
>schema reference, etc...
>
>Indeed, this seems like such a fundamental concept to me that
>the fact that Oracle doesn't seem to work that way tells me I
>must be missing something.
>
>Any suggestions appreciated.

>Is there any way to create/manage/user multiple "schemas"
>for a single database user?

NO
It is possible to give an user access to multiple schemas. If you are not satisfied with this answer, reading the tone of your post, try choosing a different database product that doesn't have this issue.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Sep 17 2002 - 11:50:16 CDT