Re: Oracle iAS

From: unknown <nobody_at_blackhole.nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:05:41 +0200

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:30:50 +0200, Max7 wrote:

> Hi eveyone,
>
> I am currently puzzled as to what type of setup to use for my web
> application running on backend Oracle DB and Oracle internet application
> server. I work for a company which utilises on a b2b kindof business
> nature and availability of information is important.
>
> Where do I run my application on, the iAS or DB server? Do I still need
> a web server in this case?
>
> THanks very much for your help.
>
> Max

It is all a matter of definitions.

'Application' means different things to different people. To Oracle people it probably means PS/SQL running in the database. To other people it could mean anything from a J2EE application, a C or C++ or VB or .NET thingie.

If your want to run your 'application' and have it accessible to, say, remote users over the http protocol, her is what you might want to do:

Install 9iAS rel. 2, putting the infrastructure database on one machine, the iAS code on another machine and keep your data on yet a third machine.

This is the (in)famous n-tier or 3-tier architecture.

Now you can run your web applications off of the OHS (Oracle Http Server, which is based on Apache) and still use the Portal stuff and whatever PS/SQL you have in the database. You can even expose part of your stored procedures in Java (using Oracle 9iAS Toplink or JPublisher) and make them available in web applications or as web services.

There is no single 'correct' architecture. It all depends on what you need and what you want.

--
Cheers,

dmz17 --- If I had an Xbox it would run Linux ---