Re: How long will 8.1.7 survive?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_peldik.kom>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:49:42 +0300

Hi!

Comments below.

Richard Foote wrote:
> Hi Tingl,
>
> My dear old gran, she loved her gramophone, playing such golden oldies as
> "We'll Meet Again", "White Xmas", "When The Saints Go Marching In" and "A
> Space Oddity". Those old 78s would have a few scratches and sound a bit
> rough, but when the horn was freshly dusted, gee they sounded good. Nothing
> wrong with them at all, they worked just great.
>
> Unfortunately, when the latest Daniel O'Donnell DVD come out, she was
> stuffed. She had no idea what to do, how to work it, how to set it up, had
> no understanding of surround sound, how to use the remote, how to play it or
> even where to put the DVD ("but Richard my dear favourite gran son, where
> the hell is the horn on this thing, the damn horn"). It took her over 2
> hours to work out how to open the case (she was getting on a bit).

Still, you wouldn't need an expensive, new-to-learn DVD player for listening to your old loved oldies?
Why should I upgrade, if my app&db works accepably and nothing more is expected from it?
The only issue I see here is, that when your old gramophone breaks and you don't have a valid warranty on it (e.g. Oracle Support:) anymore, then you have to start fixing it yourself..

> Now, do you really want to be like my Gran when you go for a job and they
> ask you questions on 9i ....

I have never asked questions on new fancy tricks or functions of a latest DB/OS version on an interview - if you get the principles is all that matters, and you wont learn that in days or weeks.

Besides, I wouldn't dare to put any of mission critical db's on 9i yet.

Tanel Poder
a DBA. Received on Tue Sep 17 2002 - 12:49:42 CDT