Re: Which RBS is my Update using ?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_peldik.kom>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:34:14 +0300

Hello!

> There is no purpose served in asking the question. A properly configured
> database has indistinguishable rollback segments. If you have need to
> ask the question ... you have need to resize them.

Not necessarily, for example, if I have a large OLTP system with lots of users, transactions, large DML and long-running selects. Then one might want to start using set transaction use rollback segment for directing large DMLs to separate, big RBSses, and if ORA-1555 still keep occurring, then as a first step, to see if the big transactions' undo went to right segment.

The reason for not having all big rbs'es is simple - disk space. The reason for not having all medium sized rbs'es is also justified in some environments - rollback segment header contention

Tanel Poder
a DBA. Received on Tue Sep 17 2002 - 10:34:14 CDT