Re: Thoughts on Enterprise manager

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:57:32 +1000

Hi Steve,

OEM isn't as bad as many make out. It has a lot of nice features, makes some things much easier to set-up (such as workspace management and replication) and is pretty simple and intuitive to use. And yes, Data Guard too (although I personally haven't used it in anger)

Now this may seem somewhat weird, but I personally would only recommend the more *experienced* Oracle folks to use it. As a beginners tool, or as a learning Oracle tool I would advise against. Why, because it "hides" a lot of the fundamental whys and hows that are necessary for proper learning. It's also easier to make "mistakes" in the sense that a click here and a click there followed by an oooppppppppssss is not uncommon for the novice. It works best when you do something who know how to do more efficiently rather than doing something you're not sure how or why to do but know it works if you click over here (if that makes sense ?)

I prefer it somewhat over Toad from a DBA perspective in that it has more functionality and handles multiple databases better, but it can be sluggish in comparison.

OEM is just another tool which when used appropriately has it's uses.

Cheers

Richard