Re: Slow exports Oracle 8.1.7.0 & 4 and " alter system flush shared_pool "

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:12:03 +0400

Well, the negative effect of flushing shared pool is that all cached library objects and query plans CBO was working so hard to produce are now gone and server will waste time reloading/reparsing them. Since only the most frequently used queries and objects are usually left in the shared pool after the system runs for some time, by flushing it you force server to spend a lot of additional time to come back to balanced and effective SGA load - it will be shuffling objects and plans in and out until it finally leaves only the most frequently used ones cached in memory.

To find out why export takes so much time you need to inspect v$session_event and see where it wastes its time, then act accordingly.

Corrections and additions are welcome.