index rebuild online and compatible mode

From: Xiang Zhao <xiangz_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: 17 Sep 2002 00:04:18 -0700

Hi all,

We are currently running a huge oracle 8.1.7 database with a few tables having 70 million rows.

And our compatible in init file is set to 8.0.5. and the index rebuild takes a lot of time. Now we'd like to try the new features introduced in 8i: rebuild index ONLINE.
I'm wondering whether we can change the compatible back to 8.0.5 after we change the compatible to 8.1.7 just to use this rebuild index online new feature?
I mean if something get wrong after we change it to 8.1.7, can we change it back? we won't use any other 8i features except index rebuilding online.

Your kind help will be most appreciated.

Thanks alot.

-Xiang Zhao Received on Tue Sep 17 2002 - 02:04:18 CDT