Re: why index is not used in query execution plan ?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:49:47 +0200

Nuno Souto wrote:

> I do have a major problem with this "FTS is good" approach. Nothing to
> do with your reply, but as a general principle.
>
> Indeed, if the system is not used by anyone else and there is no other
> activity going on, a FTS and a hash join is probably a good way of
> getting the results of an operation that has to read a large portion of a
> large table.

<snipped>

FTS is a Good Thing (tm). :-)

It is just another tool in workbox. Used for the right job, and it works exceedingly well. Combine it with PQ (the two are synonomous to me) and you use FTS what it is intended for - processing mass amount of data in the shortest possible time.

But I agree Nuno - it must be used under the correct circumstances. Running FTS on a OLTP system during peak hours, is not the best of ideas. But that is not to say that FTS can not solve its share of problems.

--
Billy