Re: STRANAGE SELECT BEHAVIOR

From: Laxman Sharma <google4321_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Sep 2002 18:10:18 -0700

This is happening on a Unix database. Oracle meta-link has a similar issue which they claim was solved in 9.2.0 but apparently not. I have already logged a tar with Oracle.

This is easily simulatable by creating a index with degree 4. Now I had no reason to create one with degree 4 but for some reason some indexes got created in my DB with degree 4 and all those indexes have this problem. It is another mystery on why that happended. As I had said earlier, on re-creating index, this problem goes away - that is now explained as on re-creation the index was created with degree 1.

I will post Oracle's resolution to the group once they determine the cause.

Vladimir, you are absolutely right in this being a potential cause of data corruption due to unpredictable application behavior. I am made to believe by Oracle support that have escalated this issue to their Engineering so I hope to receive a response soon.