Re: Running RAC across dark fibre connection

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 16 Sep 2002 09:54:19 -0700

In article <d1427d58.0209160721.40b4bdb3_at_posting.google.com>, frank_cassado_at_hotmail.com says...

>Dear All,
>
>I am planning to implement a high availability multisite solution
>which is very closely aligned to Oracle's Maximum Availability
>Architecture.
>
>Very briefly this would involve the use of a 2 node RAC cluster at
>each site and the use of a Data Guard Physical Standby database to
>provide for site failover.
>
>However - I have been asked to determine whether the option of
>implementing a single 2 node RAC cluster stretched across the 2 sites
>is viable.
>The logic behind this is to reduce the numbers of servers and licenses
>required as well as the space footprint in the data centre.
>
>Connectivity between the 2 data centres is by dark fibre with
>approximately a 10 mile run.
>
>Is it viable to use a 10m fibre as the interconnect between the nodes?
>Will this kill performance due to latency?
>Has anybody tried anything similar? and how well did it work?
>
>Would be grateful for any comments/thoughts on the viability of this?
>
>regards
>
>Frank Cassado
>
>frank_cassado_at_hotmail.com

Frank

All I've seen on this is the hardware vendors saying yes it can be done. We're trying to get some performance numbers around it now, but have yet to confirm them. Main thing to be aware of, of course, is minimizing the interconnect traffic. It's really application dependent as to how much this will fly.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Mon Sep 16 2002 - 11:54:19 CDT