Re: Recovering Dropped Tables with no Backup

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 00:05:54 +1000

Comments embedded

"Tom Holden" <tholden8_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:13773e73.0209160219.2afcfbc5_at_posting.google.com...
> In NOARCHIVELOG mode, Suppose you have no Backups (Cold or Hot) and a
> user drops a table. How can we recover the table? I would think not.
> Someone asked me this question and he said he had been told in an
> interview that it can be done.
>
> As far as i know, drop and truncate information is not stored in
> redolog files.... So Logminer should not help... Am i wrong?

No, you are correct. Only the DD operations are logged. LogMiner would not help you.

> Also drop and truncate information is not stored in RBS, so even with
> 9i Flashback dropped tables cannot be recovered. Am i wrong?

No you are correct. Flashback would again be of no use.

> Is there some way a dropped table can be recovered?

It depends.

Basically the answer is no. However, it does depend on what you mean by "no backup". If you've previously exported the table (i.e. have taken a logical backup), then yes, the table could be imported and recovered (although you would lose all changes made in the table since the export).

*If* you have just created the database and *if* you haven't yet wrapped around and overwritten the first redo log, then in theory yes you could recover the table (although the chances of this being the case are so tiny I won't bother going into it, unless you insist).

Other than the above, you're kinda stuffed.

Cheers

Richard