Re: A question about ORA-04031 error

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:10:06 GMT

Stan Brown wrote:
> I've got a 7.3.4.5 instance running on HP-UX 10.20. It's been up and running
> for several months now without problems.
>
> However now one of the processes that manipulates it, specificly a perl DBI
> script that trims older records out of it has started returning:
>
> +/opt/local/bin/trim_tables line 448.
> DBD::Oracle::st execute failed: ORA-04031: unable to allocate 42000 bytes of
> +shared memory ("unknown object","cursor work he","sort merge buffer") (DBD:
> +oexfet error) at /opt/local/bin/trim_tables line 508.
>
> I've looked at the machine that this instance runs on, and it has plenty of
> free swap space.
>
> Any ideas where to start looking for the culprit on this

~> oerr ora 4031
04031, 00000, "unable to allocate %s bytes of shared memory (\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s\")"

// *Cause:  More shared memory is needed than was allocated in the shared
//          pool.
// *Action: If the shared pool is out of memory, either use the
//          dbms_shared_pool package to pin large packages,
//          reduce your use of shared memory, or increase the amount of
//          available shared memory by increasing the value of the
//          INIT.ORA parameters "shared_pool_reserved_size" and
//          "shared_pool_size".
//          If the large pool is out of memory, increase the INIT.ORA
//          parameter "large_pool_size".

Regards,

Knut Received on Mon Sep 16 2002 - 08:10:06 CDT