Re: RMAN backup of a duplicate database

From: kevin bale <kevin_bale_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:26:45 +1000

Marcin P <pioro1_at_poczta.fm> wrote in message news:slrn.pl.ao0ldi.9mm.pioro1_at_pioro2.localdomain...
> W artykule <3d7f294a_1_at_news.iprimus.com.au>, kevin bale napisa?(a):
>
> > RMAN online backups have just been set up for all instances. At the
 moment,
> > each host has its own catalogue database because of the duplicate dbid
> > problem. I plan to have one catalogue per host after doing refreshes
 with
> > the RMAN duplicate command.
>
> Hello,
> If you duplicate database using RMAN duplicate command, dbid is not
> change. It's mean that prod database and dev database have this same
> dbid but other names (name cound by this same).

Sorry but the manual says quite clearly that the dbid does changes and puts this up as an advantage of using the RMAN duplicate command in that the duplicated database can be backed up to the same recovery catalogue as the original.

I must admit that I did not check the dbid of the duplicated database against the original to see if it was different but I'm sure it will be. I'm not so concerned on the first duplication because the new database will register ok. What I don't know is what will happens when the dev database is duplicated from prod the second time. I'll be testing this tomorrow but it would be nice if someone has an experience they can share.

> Do you wanna backup dev database ?
> If not i can't see any problem.

The client requires daily backups of all databases, including dev. We must be able to restore a database from at least 14 days. Received on Sun Sep 15 2002 - 00:26:45 CDT