Re: optimal size for rollback

From: Igor Laletin <ilaletin_at_usa.net>
Date: 15 Sep 2002 20:17:00 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<3d81e650_at_dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
> That's what dbms_job or cron is for.
>
> Optimal is only slightly worse as an idea than PCTINCREASE.

PCTINCREASE was an attempt to help DBA with space management. It wasn't successful but intention was right.

> Any time Oracle does anything for you automatically, there's a price to pay:
> and the price is performance.

Any time you do it manually, there's a price to pay as well: it's more difficult to support and (depending on person) chance to make a mistake.

> Don't set optimal.
>
> Period.
>
> (Or full stop, depending on your longitude).

Never say never :) Optimal is very useful when the most of transactions are about one size and there are some larger transactions (and that's OP's situation).

If optimal is higher than usual transaction size no deallocation will happen. 99% of transactions will just happily live in the preallocated extents. The rollback segment extended by the large transaction will be shrinked back after some time, giving space for the next big transaction.

Also I wouldn't overestimate a performance impact in such scenario.

Cheers,
Igor