Re: Moving an RMAN backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 07:24:19 +1000

Without wishing to be too blunt about it (in case I'm wrong!), but I'll bet my bottom dollar that there is no way to move backup sets until 9i (where you can backup a backup set with a 'delete input' option -and as we all know, a copy, followed by a delete, is in effect a move).

And there is no way, even in 9i, that you can make RMAN aware of the existence of backup sets in anything other than the location it knows it placed them originally.

The catalog command is of use only in making RMAN aware of backups *it* didn't take, but *you* did before deciding to use RMAN.

Another reason why I tend to recommend backing up everything to one place on a disk, and using other tools to 'move' them to other directories or tape later. That way, you simply restore to the agreed 'original holding area', and RMAN will be kept happy.

Regards